Haven’t you heard that before? Probably said it in exasperation! Jeez! Not everyone understands all of what you can do with a website. Just like not everyone can ski moguls at Squaw Valley.
It’s nothing to feel bad about, I ski but alas… those Squaw Valley moguls will wait for another taker. It won’t be me!
Ah the rub… I probably COULD ski those moguls, but I CHOOSE not to. See, I could make it down the hill, it certainly wouldn’t be Olympic beauty, but my priority it to have fun, get some exercise and be where I want to be on Monday morning. It’s a CHOICE.
Doesn’t bother me a bit.
To make that CHOICE for your website, you need to understand what the options are. In this post, you’ll learn some of the options of where to start. You may just want a website, but after learning a little, you may decide on a little more. There are lots of ways to do business online, this is just one perspective for a small business owner.
- The Contact Site. Basic couple page website. Like your entry in the Yellow Pages.
- The Starter Business site. It’s the Contact Site plus. Maybe a half dozen pages. A Yellow Pages Ad… contact info + basic description of your services.
- Business offering Details. Maybe you’re a service company with some projects and people to highlight. This adds more details to that Starter Business website.
- Business generator. Maybe you start a blog to share your expertise and gain credibility. As you educate, you’ll touch more potential clients. Maybe you’ll reach the point of advertising, maybe not.
- Starter eCommerce. Have something you want to sell? Here’s the place to do that. Maybe it’s a membership to gain access to information or actual product sales. Either way, with some planning up front you’ll be off and running.
- Growing eCommerce. Maybe you have an eCommerce site that you’re looking to take to the next level.
Each option builds on the previous. So it’s possible to start with Contact Site and grow to a full-fledged family-sustaining eCommerce site. Or it’s possible to plan and start with that full-fledged family-sustaining eCommerce site… with some help that is.
There’s so much more we can talk about, but this gets you started. If one of your goals is skiing moguls, you’ll never get there in the lodge… the bunny hill though… now we’re talking!
What? You say you’ve never heard of a mogul? Sister, let’s talk!